A Meiji period carved hardwood desk and chair made for the Panama California Exposition of 1915-1917
- Country of Origin: Japan
- Price Range: £10000-£25000
- Date: c.1915
ProvenanceThis desk was sold over 100 years ago from the Foreign Art Building of the Panama California International Exposition of 1915-1917. There is full documentation from the Japanese Exhibit Association under the supervision of ‘Kyosan.Kai Inc., Representatives of Leading Manufacturers and Art Collectors of Japan, San Diego, including a letter, receipt and envelope.
A Meiji period carved hardwood desk and chair made for the Panama California Exposition of 1915-1917, the desk with a shaped rectangular top with two short and one long frieze drawers supported by cabriole legs, the upper section comprising four pigeon holes flanked by small cupboards and drawers and surmounted by an ornate pierced cresting with a small gallery, worked throughout in high relief with dragons against thick cloud scrolls, the wrap-around swivel chair with a single support on tripod feet, similarly carved throughout. Japanese, c 1915
More Items from this Dealer
Information about the Dealer
- Listed by: Wick Antiques Ltd
Other items by Wick Antiques Ltd
- An early Victorian rosewood writing table by Holland & Sons
- Antique Anglo-Chinese amboyna secretaire cabinet
- Rare Antique Mahogany cased Cork Model of a Lighthouse
- Japanese wood Okimono of three monkeys “See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Speak No Evil”,
- A Meiji period bronze of a huntsman carrying a gun.