- Country of Origin: United Kingdom
- Date: Circa 1810
- Size: 74.00cm high (29.13 inches high) 159.00cm wide (62.60 inches wide)
ProvenanceThe Dean and Chapter of Durham Cathedral This exceptional dining table was formerly in Durham Cathedral and was probably made for the Prior’s Hall, in the Deanery, when it served as a dining room. The Prior’s Hall is a 19th Century room with a medieval ante-room, formed within part of the monastic buildings attached to the Cathedral church and is now used for conferences, lectures and meetings. Latterly this table was used for meetings of the Trustees of the Lord Crewe Trust. (Nathaniel, Lord Crewe was Bishop of Durham from 1674 until 1722.)
A Regency Mahogany Dining Table from Durham Cathedral.
This unusual and versatile Regency mahogany extending dining table is constructed in four sections and has a reeded edge to the rounded rectangular top. The tilt-top end sections are raised on turned pillars with quadruple splayed legs. The two drop-leaf central sections have detachable leaves and 16 tapered square supports which open with a gateleg action. With brass cappings and castors. English, circa 1810.
More Items from this Dealer
Information about the Dealer
- Listed by: Wick Antiques Ltd
Other items by Wick Antiques Ltd
- An unusual Victorian mahogany hall bench of exceptional size distressed black leather squab.
- An early Victorian steel rocking chair
- Pair of candelabra
- Napoleon III antique display cabinet.
- A Japanese silver box with an inlaid mixed metal panel.