- Country of Origin: United Kingdom
- Price Range: £50000+
- Date: 1550
It was made c1550. The central rock crystal tube contains a gilt figure of Longinus, the Roman soldier who, legend has it, pierced Christ in the side when he was on the cross.
The rock crystal was almost certainly recycled from an earlier Catholic reliquary, which were broken up during The Reformation. Surviving examples of these ‘architectural salts’ are extremely rare.
More Items from this Dealer
Information about the Dealer
- Listed by: Mayflower Antiques
Other items by Mayflower Antiques
- A Rare Charles II Broad Rimmed Plate (1664 London)
- A Spanish Colonial Antique Mother of pearl casket with silver mounts
- 16th century Antique clear glass Venetian bowl
- A Very Rare Ottoman Table Box (Circa 1600)
- Charles II Silver Wine Taster (1664 London)