- Country of Origin: United Kingdom
- Price Range: £50000+
- Date: 1550
It was made c1550. The central rock crystal tube contains a gilt figure of Longinus, the Roman soldier who, legend has it, pierced Christ in the side when he was on the cross.
The rock crystal was almost certainly recycled from an earlier Catholic reliquary, which were broken up during The Reformation. Surviving examples of these ‘architectural salts’ are extremely rare.
More Items from this Dealer
Information about the Dealer
- Listed by: Mayflower Antiques
Other items by Mayflower Antiques
- Oak Livery Cupboard
- A Very Rare Venetian low footed Glass Bowl
- A Silver Gilt Scissor Case (1685 French)
- A Very Rare Ottoman Table Box (Circa 1600)
- An Extremely Rare Catalan Glass Holy Water Stoup